Sunday, August 29, 2010

Green Corners: Dallas Cowboys


The last segment of the "Green Corners" series was a breakdown of several rookie cornerbacks in the AFC East who appear to have a shot at productivity in the NFL based on various aspects of their NCAA careers. I chose 1 rookie corner from each team, basically introduce them and write up a ballpark read of what I expect from them in their development process. Today I singled out the Dallas Cowboys to go diamond mining in the secondary. I believe I've found one here.

Dallas Cowboys: Bryan McCann, SMU ran a 4.28 40 on the Mustangs pro day, signed to the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent. I think the Southern Methodist hire of former Hawaii coach June Jones helped McCanns' development as a player in general. He appears to be the dime, 5th or 6th corner in most of the Cowboys defensive packages thus far (as the depth chart suggests), but could work his way up. I expect that we are going to hear his name called quite a bit throughout the season. I'm calling that this is a great pickup for Dallas from a school within their home state, that began their transition to becoming a powerhouse within Conference USA. With Terrence Newman and Mike Jenkins manning the boundaries in front of him, he should adapt nicely to the learning curve. He's also very fast, as his 40 time would suggest. I think the knowledge and improvement on football instincts McCann accumulated from his senior season will solidify at least mild success for him in the pros.

No comments:

Post a Comment